Walking is one of the best, easiest, and hassle-free ways of exercising; all you need is a pair of the best shoes for walking. With a lot of health benefits, you can't afford to miss out on these simple exercises. It would be best to have a pair of shoes that provide quality all-round cushioning and support to prevent soreness and fatigue. Therefore, look for the right cushioned footwear that will allow you to walk easier and comfortably.
The best walking shoes come with proper padding and arch support which is key to staying comfortable and injury-free. When shopping for the shoes, get those that will remain comfortable all day long, offer arch support, cushion your heel and be durable. We also recommend you to look for shoes that you can use for both walking and running.
With a lot of options on the market, finding the right shoes for walking can be overwhelming. To help you find the ideal one, we have compiled reviews of the best walking shoes, their pros, and cons, and factors to consider when buying one.
1. New Balance (NB) FuelCore Nergize V1 Sneaker for Women
- Midsole Cushioning: These New Balance sneakers feature a REVlite midsole that delivers...
- Underfoot Comfort: With an NB Memory Sole Comfort Insert that offers a plush feel with every...
- Sleek Design and Supportive Fit: Stay comfortable and stylish as you go about your day with the...
- Lightweight Feel: The modern, eye-catching upper on these cross-trainers uses mesh and...
- Find Your Ideal Style: The FuelCore Nergize sneaker is available in a range of colors to suit...
If you are looking for the best lightweight shoes for walking, you can count on the New Balance FuelCore V1 Sneaker. These women's sneakers offer great cushioning and a comfortable feel. They are Dr. Emily Splichal's favorite sneakers since they allow much freedom of movement with mesh in the front of the shoes. Besides, the front mesh makes the sneakers breathable and comfy over bunions.
These walking shoes come with a REVlite midsole that provides exceptional lightweight cushioning and delivers a responsive ride for comfortable all-day wear. The shoe also features an NB Memory Foam Sole Comfort insert that provides a plush feel with every step. So you can make it an everyday shoe which you can wear anywhere and everywhere.
The V1 Women's Sneakers have a sleek design and supportive fit that ensures you stay comfortable and stylish as you go on with your day. The bootie design usually ensures the mesh upper construction hugs your foot for a supportive fit. Furthermore, the modern, eye-catching upper uses mesh and synthetic materials for a super-lightweight experience that helps keep you light on your feet as you walk.
The walking shoes are available in different colors to choose your taste and preferences for hassle freestyling you can dress up or down. Ideal sneakers for gym, yoga, or pet-walking.
2. ASICS Gel-Kayano Black Running Shoes for Women, 26
- SpevaFoam 45 Lasting - Employs 45 degree full length SpevaFoam 45 lasting material for a soft...
- I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) Technology - ASICS design philosophy that employs linked...
- FlyteFoam Lyte Technology - ASICS lightest weight midsole formulation that provides continuous...
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce...
- Dynamic DuoMax Support System - This evolution of DuoMax system enhances stability and support,...
It is time you get one of the best shoes for walking, the Asics Gel-Kayano 26 women's running shoe. Though they are designed for running, they also offer the required comfort and protection while walking. These running/ walking shoes are designed for mild pronators. They come with a skeletal crossing synthetic material with a breathable mesh upper to offer a stretch fit and improved comfort.
The shoe is designed in a philosophical way that employs linked componentry to improve the foot's natural gait from heel to toe. They have a lightweight midsole that offers continuous cushion thanks to the organic Nanofibers. Furthermore, the shoe has ASICS energic memory foam formulation that offers supreme bounce thanks to an exceptional elastomer compound.
This shoe features rear and forefoot gel cushioning that help to relieve the symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis. In addition, the shoe utilizes a DuoMax system which enhances stability and support, with increased platform support and reduced weight. Moreover, the shoe is fitted with an Ortholite sock liner which is antimicrobial treated to prevent odor and bacteria also wick away moisture.
The Asics Gel-Kayano 26 women's running shoe has FluidRide cushioning, which usually differs depending on the foot shape, plus guidance lines and raised heel to ensure proper foot placement. Though these shoes are true to size, you might want to consider the size if you have wide feet or a swelling issue.
3. New Balance (1080 V10) Fresh Foam Running Shoe for Women
- Cushioned Running Shoes for Every Runner: Part of the Fresh Foam X collection, these shoes use...
- Support and Durability: This shoe features a Hypoknit upper designed to provide strategic areas...
- Perfect Fit: These comfortable running shoes include a bootie upper construction and an Ultra...
- Breathable and Lightweight Running Shoes: The supportive engineered knit upper includes...
- Keep Your Feet Comfortable: The Ortholite sockliner in these performance running shoes helps...
You can count on the New Balance (1080 V10) Fresh Foam Women's Running shoe if you are looking for the best shoes for walking that, comes with adequate cushioning. These sneakers boast plushness and cushioning that guarantee maximum comfort. Besides, they are versatile; though they are designed for running, they also offer the required comfort and protection as you walk.
These running/walking shoes include an ultra heel design and a bootie construction, both of which hug the back of the foot for a supportive fit. The sneakers also feature an Ortholite sock liner that enhances their performance. Furthermore, the supportive constructed knit upper includes mesh and synthetic materials for breathability as you walk or run for any distance.
The V10 New Balance Shoes come with a blown rubber outsole for exceptional durability and a Hypoknit upper designed to offer areas of support and stretch. Additionally, the outsole has a redesigned flex groove which provides great traction; also, the geometry of the sneaker has been altered to offer a smooth ride. Last but not least, the shoes are available in different colors so you can choose your taste and preferences for hassle freestyling you can dress up or down.
4. Brooks Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
- SHOE SIZE: "B" = Medium width, "D" = Wide width, "2A" = Narrow width, "2E" = Extra wide width
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT: Our Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar strategically supports your arch to...
- SLIP-RESISTANT, SECURE FIT: The forefoot MC Pod construction and an innovative outsole sets...
- SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA adapts to your stride, weight and speed, to make every step...
- LONG-LASTING: Both comfortable and durable, this shoe with a full-grain leather upper will be a...
If you are searching for the best shoes for walking for flat feet, we recommend the Brooks Addiction Walker Shoes. These 100% handmade shoes feature an extended progressive diagonal rollbar that strategically supports your arch and keeps your body in its normal path of motion. Besides, this walking shoe is constructed from synthetic and leather materials, enhancing its durability.
The shoes come with an innovative outsole and forefoot MC Pod construction that sets your foot in a balanced and stable position. With a weight of 14.3 Ounces, these shoes are super lightweight. Furthermore, BioMoGo DNA adapts to your weight, stride, speed, and more cushioning for an enhanced, comfortable walk for each step you make.
The walking shoes utilize pressure zone technology which helps in distributing weight across them for better shock absorption and smoother glides. Furthermore, the shoes are true to size, meaning you can order them in your usual size. Nonetheless, if you have wide feet, you need to reconsider the size.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Walking Shoes
When looking for the best shoes for walking, prioritize comfort. The best walking shoes are supposed to be very comfortable in different terrain types. The outsole should be light, strong, and with extra padding for the needed bounce when walking. Moreover, the shoe should be well padded on the side for maximum comfort. Finally, the walking shoe should have ample legroom for the toes and sufficient padding such that even the ankle is well hugged.
2. Arch support
The arches usually determine how your leg muscles move as you walk on different terrains. Arch support preference varies from one to another. There are three common types of arch support;
- High arch- When you only use the outside of your foot while landing or during supination. They don't offer proper shock absorption, especially when engaging in high-impact activities such as jumping, which might cause excessive pressure on the toe, ankles, and other muscles and joints. If you've high arches, we recommend you to get a shoe with a thick, soft midsole and curved or semi-curved last.
- Neutral arch-( Also referred to as normal pronation) is where you neither bend the feet inward or outward, and your bottoms are not too arched nor too flat. We recommend a shoe that has a straight last or semi-curved design and a firm midsole.
- Low arch or flat feet- Meaning that you overpronate while walking, and this may cause stress on the foot muscles and joints. For this reason, we recommend a shoe that has great motion control properties and a straight last to ensure you remain stable as you walk.
When looking for the best shoes for walking, ensure you consider the material. The right shoe should be made of high-quality materials for durability. Also, the material should have the capability to endure all cracking, especially at the front, because it gets strained the most. Many times, the most durable material is usually leather.
Weight is a vital consideration, if you walk in heavy sneakers, you will put unnecessary strain on yourself, and when doing frequent walks, this will make you tired quickly. Therefore, the last thing you want when buying the right walking footwear is getting heavy sneakers; we recommend you to go for lightweight footwear.
5. The flexibility of the walking shoe
When you walk, the heel gets in contact with the ground first; then the toe follows to push you forward. Wearing stiff shoes strains the walking process; joints and muscles become stressed. Too much stress on the muscles and joints usually leads to pain after walking for periods.
Furthermore, the pain usually causes a bad walking posture as the body tries to cope with the discomfort. Walking shoes that are not flexible can lead to bruises at the back of your heel since there will be too much friction during movement. The shoe tongue will also create discomfort on the ankle. Therefore, we recommend you to look for a flexible walking shoe.
Look for a shoe that has a breathable upper. Usually, breathable fabrics are the best features you can find in a pair of walking sneakers. Besides, the body tends to sweat under some physical activities like walking. For example, as you walk, your feet can sweat because the sneakers are closed, and there is extra heat trapped in the shoes. With a breathable shoe, the sweat will evaporate into the air easily.
As the sweat evaporates, the shoes keep your feet cool and fresh. In addition, no sweat means that the shoe will be odor-free and will not be damp.
It would be best to consider the design of the shoe. Walking footwear should have an appealing design that reveals your fashion taste. The shoe you decide to buy should also have a bold color to speak about your fashion character. Luckily, many shoe models are designed with this factor in mind that is good for both men and women.
As you walk, the foot normally hits the ground, and your whole body places its weight on your leg. This process causes high pressure as the sole is usually a small area compared to the weight your body carries. Therefore, sneakers with great soles will protect the foot by lowering the pressure.
Furthermore, the spongy sole helps absorb the pressure and lower it to levels that will not cause pain or injury to the foot. Sneakers with foam insole are good for painful feet, flat feet, and everyone who walks regularly.
9. Flex point
The flex point is where the shoe bends as you walk. For maximum comfort, the flex point should match your foot's bending point. Otherwise, it will lead to arch pain or a condition such as plantar fasciitis. To identify the flex point of your shoe, hold the shoe's heel and press the shoe's toe on the ground, and the point where the shoe will bend and wrinkle, it the flex point. The sneakers should allow a good degree of space which will offer a smooth motion.