Summertime, although one of the hottest seasons in any given year, is also a good time of year for you to pick up all your favorite summertime activities. If you're like me, those activities will include water! For those who enjoy fishing out on the lake, ocean or other local water holes, the hot weather calls to fishermen all across the globe. It makes them gather their gear and fishing attire and aim for the one perfect cast to rule them all.
As with any noble sport worth its salt, much specialised equipment is needed in order to make practicing your sport a massive success. Among the most important gear are a good fishing boot, made specifically for standing still in water. Or think of a fish finder, to increase your chances of scoring bigger than your friends. And then ofcourse, there are fishing boots. These are just as much a must as a fishing rod, as far as I am concerned.
Similar to a hiking boot or shoe, a fishing boot is a type of footwear that can be worn in nearly any type of weather and is perfect for various types of terrain. Typically, this specific type of footwear is meant to be worn when wading in the water is called for, in order to cast that perfect line.
For those of you who'd rather take it easy at the beach rather than engage in struggle with 100 pound monster basses, I suggest you check out my water shoes reviews. But I stray... back to the topic at hand!
Things To Consider When Looking For Fishing Boots
Prior to getting into the details of the footwear that will be reviewed here, the following things should be considered, before purchasing a pair of fishing boots.
Although this particular aspect of buying a good boot for fishin', isn't an important factor in your decision, as it pertains to fashion. However, it is important in terms of the types of water bodies you may encounter, while going out for your next fishing adventure. When it comes to fishing boots, two types of styles exist; low-cut and (no, not high-cut) somethat that is known as a field boot. The low-cut style is for walking around in shallow waters, as well as allowing for easy mobility, when moving locations along the stream. On the other hand, the field boot is meant for wading through deeper waters and sits higher on the leg (some as far as the knee). Both types have their own advantages, which will be discussed further in this article.
Unlike the typical sneaker, or other footwear types that tend to be made with cheap material, more times than not a high quality fishing boot is constructed with the most durable material. And generally, it is constructed with drain holes. Although the materials used to construct fishing boots will be discussed later, this factor is one that should always be considered when preparing to buy. The level of durability will determine how well the boots will withstand the treacherous conditions you will no doubt encounter while on one of your fishing trips.
Another important aspect of to consider, is how well the boot's traction is. This is all about the strength of the boot's sole when it is up against all types of terrain. From land to sea and every place in between, the typical fishing boot is constructed to grip any type of condition, even watery ones. For those who are always changing their fishing spots, this will give you the ability to safely maneuver yourself across uneven ground and any type of debris, without slipping. Furthermore, the traction of a fishing boot will help you stand still firmly in the water as well.
When it comes to the type of materials used for making a fishing boot, the most common resources are rubber or leather. While synthetic rubber or leather is more commonly known in regards to this particular type of footwear, the synthetic materials are highly favorited among many fishermen due to the fact that water can easily be repelled. Rubber footwear in general is considered to be water-resistant. Additionally, when looking at laces... nylon laces are better than cotton ones. Ultimately, if you are looking for a fishing boot that offers lots of traction, rubber soled boots are probably your best choice. On the other hand, leather boots will provide more of a dry water-resistant experience.
Top 5 Fishing Boot Reviews
1. Korkers Greenback Wading Boot
- Traction: OmniTrax Interchangeable Sole System for...
- Closure System: Quick Cinch laces provide quick...
- Fast Drying: Hydrophobic materials mean faster dry...
- Internal Drainage: Water flows thru internal...
- Durability: Designed with abrasion-resistant...
Available in a wide range of sizes, the Korkers Greenback wading boot is perfect for those who are always at a different fishing spot while on a fishing trip. Thanks to its low-cut design, moving around comfortably is... well, comfortable! The boot owes its comfort levels mostly to the breathable mesh-like material used throughout the upper part and sides of the boot. Furthermore, this footwear is a great one for taking with you on even the most watery fishing trip, because it is water-resistant.
Let's have a looksy at a few more highlighted features:
- Traction that gives the boot grip on any type of terrain; especially water and ice
- Low-cut style for easy mobility when moving from spot to spot
- Breathable mesh surrounding the upper part and sides of the boot for extended comfort and breathability
- Synthetic rubber outlines the overall design and is present along the sole and sides along the bottom of the boot
- Drain holes made specifically to repel water from entering the boot
- Nylon laces
2. The Original Muckboots Scrub Boot
- 4 mm neoprene provides comfort and flexibility,...
- 3-Season outdoor boots (spring, summer, fall);...
- Breathable Airmesh lining wicks away humidity and...
- High-grade rubber exterior provides extra...
- Women’s last is specially designed to support...
Measuring roughly 12" x 8" x 4", this really nice Muck Boot goes up to the lower portion of the calf when worn. It is available in multiple sizes. Perfect for fishing in semi-deep waters, this fishing boot is made completely of rubber but also has fabric along the outer upper part of the boot. In addition to its slipper-like feel. Ultimately, these boots are comfortable and have a breathable mesh lining interior. These fishing boots are considered as the best option when it comes to the dirtiest of dirty jobs.
Here are some additional highlights:
- Easy to wash after working on a dirty job
- Water-resistant feature that keeps your feet dry
- Made from synthetic rubber
- Sturdy and durable for any job
One other feature of this scrub boot that deserves to be mentioned in a little more detail, is its excellent traction. As previously mentioned, traction is one of the most popular features that fishermen look at when shopping for a new pair of totally rad boots. Having said that, this particular rubber fishing boot is capable of handling pretty much all types of terrains. They will prevent slipping on steep inclines or other cumbersome terrains.
3. XTRATUF Performance Mens Ankle Deck Boots
- XTRATUF 6IN ANKLE DECK BOOTS - The performance...
- LIGHTWEIGHT SILHOUETTE - Lightweight silhouette...
- PROPER FOOT TEMPERATURE - Evaporative cooling...
- SLIP-RESISTANT - The SRA rated slip-resistant...
- ANKLE DECK BOOT COLLECTION - The Ankle Deck Boot...
Designed specifically for traction purposes, this fishing boot is considered one of the best fishing boots to go around, thanks to its low-cut design and the fact that it is sturdy, yet flexible. While its overall design is purposed specifically for shore casting, the boot is made to be lightweight, water-resistant, and even slip-resistant. These fishing boots measure approximately, 10" x 4" x 6", and even look a bit sporty, making them the perfect addition to the athletic fisherman's wardrobe. Ultimately, these Ankle Deck boots are the perfect solution for fishermen who enjoy fishing from the shoreline.
Here are some additional features:
- Water-resistant feature keeps water from entering the boot
- No-slip traction keeps a firm grip wherever you stand and protects you from slipping in extreme weather conditions
- Low-cut athletic design makes moving around easier than ever
- Comfortable to wear for extended lengths of time
- Breathable mesh lining keeps your feet cool throughout the day
- Easy to wear thanks to its front/back loops that allow easy on/off access
- Available in multiple sizes
4. CLC Rain Wear F23011 PVC Men's Rain Boot
- SNEAKER-LIKE COMFORT: EVA FOOT FORM provides...
- IMPROVED TRACTION: Cleated sole on these rain...
- RAIN BOOT: “Over-the-sock” men's sizing.
- SCALLOPED DESIGN: These rain boots feature a...
- DURABLE RAIN BOOT: These rain boots are made with...
Commonly known better as a field boot because of its lengthy design that places it just below the upper leg, the CLC rainwear PVC boot is the perfect solution for deep water fishing adventures. While the boot is made entirely of PVC rubber material it is designed to fit over the sock and is available in a wide variety of different sizes. These simple, yet elegant fishing boots measure roughly 12" x 16" x 5". They feature an overall simplistic design that includes a scalloped top line, that prevents the boot from rubbing against the leg, particularly around the calf area.
Here are just a few of its highlighted features:
- Comfortable to wear for long periods of time
- Excellent traction for any type of terrain, thanks to cleated traction
- The field boot style makes it the perfect choice for deep water wading
- Made completely from 100% PVC rubber
- Sturdy and durable for any adventure
- Multiple sizes available
5. Baffin Men's Hunter Waterproof Boot
- Pull-on rubber boot featuring textured toe guard...
Perfect for any outdoor activity, including hunting and fishing, the Baffin waterproof boot is styled as a field boot and is made from rubber, except for the nylon collar that includes the tie strings. Additionally, this particular fishing boot comes with a removable felt liner and provides comfort when worn over the course of an entire day. With approximate measurements of the fishing boot coming in at roughly 12" x 8" x 4", this particular boot is a really popular fishing boot among fisherman, because it is waterproof and also has great traction. It's really good for various types of terrains, as well as playing around in deep water.
Here are just a few of the highlights this fishing boot has to offer:
- Rubber, nylon tie string ,collar and rubber sole
- Great traction for extreme conditions and various terrain types
- Sturdy and durable field boot style
- Removable felt liner
In conclusion, while there are many more super high quality fishing boots available for you to choose from, the decision ultimately depends on what you are looking for in such a boot. I've made a pretty decent selection of boots here, that should cover pretty much anything you're looking for... whether you need a low cut or a field boot.
For example, if you are the type of fisherman who is used to frequently changing fishing spots and doing a lot of walking, then you will want to lean more toward the low-cut style fishing boot (something like the XTRATUF reviewed above).
However, if you are more of the deep water fishing type, than you may want to consider something such as the CLC Rain boot.
In the end, you still want to factor in all key elements, such as the durability of the material, the functional style, and size. You know best what you need. So best of luck to you in finding the best boot for your next fishing trip!
Banshee Moon Farm Girl Demonstrates Her Fishing Boots
If this doesn't clear up any remaining mystery as to what they're good for... I don't know what will.